Friday, August 12, 2016
- I never knew thyroid disease could affect my hair, skin, and energy.
Thyroid Neck Check:
You need a glass of water and a handheld mirror.
1. Hold the mirror in your hand, focusing on the lower front area of your neck, above the collarbones and below the voice box (larynx). Your thyroid gland is located in this area of your neck.
2. While focusing on this area in the mirror, tip your head back.
3. Take a drink of water and swallow.
4. As you swallow, look at your neck. Check for any bulges or protrusions in this area when you swallow.
REMINDER: Don't confuse the Adam's apple with the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is located further down on your nect, closer to the collarbone. You May want to repeat this process several times.
5. If you do see any bulges or protrusions in this area, see your physician. You may have and enlarged thyroid gland or a thyroid nodule that should be check to determine whether further evaluation is needed.